We want to get a high resolution climpse at chromatin structure and chromosome behavior with respect to fundamental aspects of double strand break processing, transcription activation and viral infection. We develop methods to label DNA in fixed and living cells using fluorescent probes and develop non-invasive labeling techniques to visualize and quantify DNA. The technology transfer from yeast to human cells is an asset in the laboratory, and opens new perspectives in the field of chromatin dynamics. Applying mathematical modeling, we attempt to elucidate the functional relationship between the location of a gene, its inherent dynamics and its response to stimuli. We explore kinetics of long range chromatin interactions in order to obtain new structural insights on chromatin organization based on physical parameters. We analyse epigenetic mechanisms of gene expression in mammary tumor cells, investigating in particular the chromatin structure and its modifications at estrogen receptor target genes, and biophysical properties of chromosomes and their role in DNA double strand break repair in yeast. Our challenge is to experimentally act upon structure to probe impact on function.
Chromatin dynamics and regulation of gene expression
Cancer chromatin signatures – role of histone variants
Chromosome dynamics and DNA repair
- Haitham Ahmed Shaban#, Roman Barth, Kerstin Bystricky#.
Nanoscale mapping of DNA dynamics reveals activity-driven genome organization in living human cells
2018 Dec https://doi.org/10.1101/405969
- Marc A. Marti-Renom, Genevieve Almouzni, Wendy A. Bickmore, Kerstin Bystricky, Giacomo Cavalli, Peter Fraser, Susan M. Gasser, Luca Giorgetti, Edith Heard, Mario Nicodemi, Marcelo Nollmann, Modesto Orozco, Ana Pombo, Maria-Elena Torres-Padilla.
Challenges and guidelines toward 4D nucleome data and model standards
2018 Oct DOI: 10.1038/s41588-018-0236-3
- Komatsu T., Quentin-Froignant C., Carlon-Andres I., Lagadec F., Rayne F., Ragues F., Kehlenbach R., Zhang W., Ehrhardt A., Bystricky K., Morin R., Lagarde JM., Gallardo F. and Wodrich H.# .
In vivo labelling of adenovirus DNA identifies chromatin anchoring and biphasic genome replication
Journal of Virology
2018 Sep DOI: 10.1128/JVI.00795-18
- Bernard Mariamé, Sandrine Kappler-Gratias, Martin Kappler, Stéphanie Balor, Franck Gallardo, and Kerstin Bystricky .
Real-time visualization and quantification of human Cytomegalovirus replication in living cells using the ANCHOR DNA labeling technology.
Journal of Virology
2018 Jun Accepted manuscript posted online 27 June 2018 , doi:10.1128/JVI.00571-18 Abstract Manuscript OPEN ACCESS ARTICLE
- Thomas Germier, Sylvain Audibert, Silvia Kocanova, David Lane and Kerstin Bystricky.
Real-time imaging of specific genomic loci in eukaryotic cells using the ANCHOR DNA labelling system
2018 May https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymeth.2018.04.008
View all publications
Hafida SELLOU, postdoc 4/17-4/18
Haitham SHABAN, postdoc 8/15-7/18
Franck GALLARDO, postdoc 06/10-12/13
Mathieu DALVAI, postdoc 10/08-12/12
Sylvain AUDIBERT, PhD 11/2017 (PhD student 10/13-11/17, ATER 16-17, AI 01-03/18)
Barbara LAMBOUR, PhD 04/2016 (PhD student 02/14-04/16)
Hicham SAAD, PhD 11/2013
Luca BELLUCCI, PhD 03/2013
Imen LASSADI, PhD 08/2012
Mahta MAZAHERI, PhD 05/2009
Laurence FLEURY, PhD 04/2008
Ingénieurs and technical personnel:
Stéphanie CAZE-SUBRA, IE 09/16-5/17
Sandrine KAPPLER-GRATIAS, IE 06/14-3/17
Laurence FLEURY, IE 06/12-04/13