Ribosome Biogenesis in Eukaryotes
ChargÃ© de Recherche, CNRS
05 61 33 59 55
Directeur de Recherche, CNRS
05 61 33 59 53
Researcher Professor Technical staff
- Kamila Belhabich-Baumas
- Régine Capeyrou
Ribosome production in eukaryotes is initiated by the transcription by RNA polymerase I of a pre-ribosomal RNA (pre-rRNA), precursor to the 18S, 5.8S and 25S/28S ribosomal RNAs (rRNAs). This pre-rRNA associates co-transcriptionally with ribosomal proteins, small nucleolar ribonucleoprotein particles (snoRNPs) and non-ribosomal proteins to yield a nascent pre-ribosomal particle from which the early pre-40S particle containing the 18S rRNA sequence is split mostly co-transcriptionally. The early pre-60S particle assembled onto the 5.8S and 25S sequences is released subsequently following transcription termination. These particles then follow independent maturation pathways, first in the nucleus and finally in the cytoplasm. Within this series of pre-ribosomal particles, the pre-rRNAs are chemically modified and progressively processed by endo- and exoribonucleases to release the mature rRNAs. Hundreds of snoRNPs and more than 200 non-ribosomal proteins are involved in ribosome synthesis in eukaryotes. The molecular functions of most of these co-factors, several of which are enzymes, remain elusive. Our aims are to understand the precise molecular functions and modes of regulation of several key non-ribosomal factors involved in the co- and/or post-transcriptional steps of ribosome synthesis, in particular energy-consuming enzymes.
Function of the atypical RIO kinases in late stages of the maturation of pre-40S particles in yeast and human cells
Function of the Dbp6p/Npa1p/Npa2p/Nop8p/Rsa3p complex in the maturation of early pre-60S particles in yeast
Regulation of the Prp43p helicase by its G-patch domain-containing co-factors Gno1p/PINX1 and Pfa1p in yeast and human
Function of Rpf2p and Rrs1p in the coordination between synthesis and maturation of the pre-ribosomal RNA in yeast and human
- 2014 Jan García-Gómez JJ, Lebaron S, Henry Y, de la Cruz J (2014) Dynamics of the Spb4 interactome monitored by affinity purification. Book chapter in the volume “RNA remodelling proteins” for the series "Methods in Molecular Biology", J. Walker ed., Humana Press-Springer, USA, vol. 1259.
- 2014 Jan Henras A, O’Donohue MF, Plisson-Chastang C, Chakraborty A, Gleizes PE (2014) An overview of pre-rRNA processing in eukaryotes. Wiley Interdiscip Rev RNA. doi: 10.1002/wrna.1269.
- 2014 Jan Delprato A, Al Kadri Y, Pérébaskine N, Monfoulet C, Henry Y, Henras AK, Fribourg S (2014) Crucial role of the Rcl1p-Bms1p interaction for yeast pre-ribosomal RNA processing. Nucleic Acids Res 42:10161-72.
- 2014 Jan Chen YL, Capeyrou R, Humbert O, Mouffok S, Al Kadri Y, Lebaron S, Henras AK, Henry Y (2014) The telomerase inhibitor Gno1p/PINX1 activates the helicase Prp43p during ribosome biogenesis. Nucleic Acids Res 42 :7330-45.
- 2012 Jan Bonnart C, Gérus M, Hoareau-Aveilla C, Kiss T, Caizergues-Ferrer M, Henry Y, Henras AK (2012) Mammalian HCA66 protein is required for both ribosome synthesis and centriole duplication. Nucleic Acids Res 40: 6270-89.
View all publications