Histone demethylases in development and in cancer
Luisa Di stefano
CR 05 61 55 85 99
Researcher Associate professor Technical staff Master student
- Ines Selmi
- Olashade Laleye
In recent years, the histone lysine demethylase LSD1 has emerged as a key chromatin regulator. LSD1 plays an essential role in regulating cell fate and differentiation and it is often deregulated in cancer. However, our understanding of the biological role of LSD1 is still incomplete. Our goal is to shed light on the mechanisms by which LSD1 control chromatin structure and the transcriptionof genes and transposable elements during Drosophila development and in cancer.
We aim to answer three main questions:
1) How does LSD1 activity control normal development ?
2) Which proteins direct LSD1 targeting and to which genomic regions?
3) Which signaling pathways control LSD1 activity?
- Julie M.J. Lepesant, Carole Iampietro, Eugenia Galeota, Benoit Auge, Marion Aguirrenbengoa, Clementine Merce, Camille Chaubet, Vincent Rocher, Marc Haenlin, Lucas Waltzer, Mattia Pelizzola and Luisa Di Stefano.
A dual role of dLsd1 in oogenesis: regulating developmental genes and repressing transposons
Nucleic Acid Research
- Altuna M, Urdánoz-Casado A, Sánchez-Ruiz de Gordoa J; Zelaya MV, Labarga A, Lepesant JMJ, Roldán M; Blanco-Luquin I, Perdones A; Larumbe R; Jericó I; Echavarri C; IMéndez-López I; Di Stefano L.; Mendioroz, M..
DNA methylation signature of human hippocampus in Alzheimer’s disease is linked to neurogenesis.
- Wayne O. Miles, Julie M. J. Lepesant, Jessie Bourdeaux, Manuela Texier, Marc A. Kerenyi, Makoto Nakakido, Ryuji Hamamoto, Stuart H. Orkin, Nicholas J. Dyson, Luisa Di Stefano.
The LSD1 Family of Histone Demethylases and the Pumilio Posttranscriptional Repressor Function in a Complex Regulatory Feedback Loop
Molecular and Cellular Biology
2015 Dec Mol Cell Biol. 2015 Dec;35(24):4199-211. doi: 10.1128/MCB.00755-15.
- 2015 Jan Dietz KN, Di Stefano L, Maher RC, Zhu H, MacDonald ME, Gusella JF and Walker JA. The Drosophila Huntington’s disease gene ortholog dhtt influences chromatin regulation during development. Human Molecular Genetics 2015, Jan 15; 24(2): 330-45
- 2013 Jan Di Stefano L and Dyson N. The emerging roles for histone demethylases in the modulations of signaling pathways. Biomolecular Concepts. 2013; 4(1): 13–27
View all publications
Julie LEPESANT, PhD
Carole IAMPIETRO, PhD