The CBI Ph.D. International program was initiated in 2016 with the creation of the CBI and integrated all Ph.D. students. The ambition of the program is to create a community of well-trained, highly motivated, and dynamic young researchers. The CBI Ph.D. program committee, framing the program, is composed of stuff scientists representing all Institutes composing the CBI and supported by its direction. Our aim is to help our Ph.D. students to become a part of a scientific community, to guide them in their career choices, and to participate in their training. Based on the stimulating and dynamic environment offered by the CBI, the program proposes in-house training courses, seminars, and social events.
Planning of the CBI's year:
To read and meditate: Twenty things I wish I’d known when I started my Ph.D.
The CBI Ph.D. Integration Day 2020! October 2020 in Toulouse
The whole day will be devoted to the welcoming of our new Ph.D. students, to have fun, and to discuss science and beyond!
Organized this year by Alix Meunier, Marie Zilliox, Nathalie Bastie, and Valentin Quebre !
The program and details are coming soon...
The CBI Ph.D. Mentoring! created by Julie Batut
Do not hesitate to contact Julie if you would like to become a mentor or you need advice. It became a doctoral school's module entitled "Module Mentoring CBI Ph.D. program" and could be found via Adum!
Our mentoring program includes:
1. Individual meetings and discussions (at least monthly)
2. Round table sessions Program 2020/2021
3. Career Workshop
Mentoring is a timeless concept with roots in ancient history. The word “mentor” comes from The Odyssey by the Greek poet Homer. When Odysseus, King of Ithaca, sailed off with his army to fight in the Trojan War, he entrusted his friend Mentor to care for and educate his son, Telemachus. The word “mentor” eventually came to mean a trusted advisor, counselor, and friend.
The CBI Mentoring pairs new students with faculty mentors that match student interests and needs.
Mentors are • Advisors, who have career experience and are willing to share their knowledge,
• Supporters, who provide emotional and moral encouragement,
• Tutors, who give specific feedback on one’s performance,
• Supervisors, who monitor their students’ academic and professional progress,
• Trainers, who teach students about professional responsibility,
• Sponsors, who are sources of information about opportunities and assist students in obtaining them, and
• Role models, who exhibit the qualities and ethical values that academics should possess.
(The National Institutes of Health,1999; Zelditch, 2001).
Thursday 12/11 12h30 Salle Vandel - Presentation of the mentoring by Julie Batut (CR CNRS, CBI Toulouse). Discussion with mentors and mentorees from previous years.
The CBI International Ph.D. Call - Ph.D. recruitment
in Toulouse, at the Paul Sabatier University, and in the CBI...
Ma thèse en 180 secondes c'est : Only for French-speaking students
• Un véritable défi : intéresser un auditoire profane et diversifié en présentant votre sujet de thèse en seulement 3 minutes chrono !
• Une occasion unique de parfaire vos aptitudes en communication, tout en vous donnant la possibilité de diffuser votre recherche dans l’espace public.
Tentez de décrocher votre place pour la finale nationale organisée par la CPU et le CNRS, et peut-être représenter la France au concours international francophone qui rassemblera les finalistes québécois, français, marocains et belges le 26 septembre 2019 à Dakar.
Le concours « Ma thèse en 180 secondes » vise à informer le grand public de la richesse et de l’intérêt des recherches scientifiques, tout en développant les compétences communicationnelles des doctorants avec le grand public. Le but ? Chaque participant présente, en 3 minutes, un exposé de vulgarisation en français, clair, concis et convaincant sur son projet de recherche. Le tout avec l’appui d’une seule diapositive !
Clair CHAIGNE from Patrick Blader's group.
Alpha T association of Ph.D. biology students in Toulouse. Do not hesitate to visit their website and participate in upcoming events!