Ribosome Biogenesis in Eukaryotes
DR CNRS 05 61 33 59 53
CR CNRS 05 61 33 59 55
Research engineer Researcher
Associate professor PhD student
- Anthony Henras
- Yves Henry
- Odile Humbert
- Benjamin Albert
- Hussein Hamze
- Nanakadidia Maiga
- Florine Roses
- Jutta Hafner
Ribosome production in eukaryotes is initiated by the transcription by RNA polymerase I of a pre-ribosomal RNA (pre-rRNA), precursor to the 18S, 5.8S and 25S/28S ribosomal RNAs (rRNAs). This pre-rRNA associates co-transcriptionally with ribosomal proteins, small nucleolar ribonucleoprotein particles (snoRNPs) and non-ribosomal proteins to yield a nascent pre-ribosomal particle from which the early pre-40S particle containing the 18S rRNA sequence is split mostly co-transcriptionally. The early pre-60S particle assembled onto the 5.8S and 25S sequences is released subsequently following transcription termination. These particles then follow independent maturation pathways, first in the nucleus and finally in the cytoplasm. Within this series of pre-ribosomal particles, the pre-rRNAs are chemically modified and progressively processed by endo- and exoribonucleases to release the mature rRNAs. Hundreds of snoRNPs and more than 200 non-ribosomal proteins are involved in ribosome synthesis in eukaryotes. The molecular functions of most of these co-factors, several of which are enzymes, remain elusive. Our aims are to understand the precise molecular functions and modes of regulation of several key non-ribosomal factors involved in the co- and/or post-transcriptional steps of ribosome synthesis, in particular energy-consuming enzymes.
Function of the atypical RIO kinases in late stages of the maturation of pre-40S particles in yeast and human cells
Function of the Dbp6p/Npa1p/Npa2p/Nop8p/Rsa3p complex in the maturation of early pre-60S particles in yeast
Regulation of the Prp43p helicase by its G-patch domain-containing co-factors Gno1p/PINX1 and Pfa1p in yeast and human
Function of Rpf2p and Rrs1p in the coordination between synthesis and maturation of the pre-ribosomal RNA in yeast and human
- Khreiss A, Capeyrou R, Lebaron S, Albert B, Bohnsack KE, Bohnsack MT, Henry Y, Henras AK, Humbert O..
The DEAD-box protein Dbp6 is an ATPase and RNA annealase interacting with the peptidyl transferase center (PTC) of the ribosome.
Nucleic Acids Research
- Godet AC, Roussel E, David F, Hantelys F, Morfoisse F, Alves J, Pujol F, Ader I, Bertrand E, Burlet-Schiltz O, Froment C, Henras AK, Vitali P, Lacazette E, Tatin F, Garmy-Susini B, Prats AC..
Long non-coding RNA Neat1 and paraspeckle components are translational regulators in hypoxia.
- Bohnsack KE, Henras AK, Nielsen H, Bohnsack MT..
Making ends meet: a universal driver of large ribosomal subunit biogenesis.
Trends in Biochemical Sciences
- Bhutada P, Favre S, Jaafar M, Hafner J, Liesinger L, Unterweger S, Bischof K, Darnhofer B, Siva Sankar D, Rechberger G, Abou Merhi R, Lebaron S, Birner-Gruenberger R, Kressler D, Henras AK, Pertschy B..
Rbp95 binds to 25S rRNA helix H95 and cooperates with the Npa1 complex during early pre-60S particle maturation.
Nucleic Acids Research
- Pelus A, Bordes G, Barbe S, Bouchiba Y, Burnard C, Cortés J, Enjalbert B, Esque J, Estaña A, Fauré R, Henras AK, Heux S, Le Men C, Millard P, Nouaille S, Pérochon J, Toanen M, Truan G, Verdier A, Wagner C, Romeo Y, Montanier CY..
A tripartite carbohydrate-binding module to functionalize cellulose nanocrystals.
View all publications